*Indian Status

An individual recognized by the federal government as being registered under the Indian Act is referred to as a Registered Indian (commonly referred to as a Status Indian). Status Indians are entitled to a wide range of programs and services offered by federal agencies and provincial governments. Over the years, there have been many rules for deciding who is eligible for registration as an Indian under the Indian Act. Important changes were made to the Act in June 1985, when Parliament passed Bill C-31, An Act to Amend the Indian Act, to bring it in line with the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, and again in 2011 with the coming into force of Bill C-3: Gender Equity in Indian Registration Act.

Knowing which programs and policies apply to you may be difficult. Legislation varies across the ten provinces and three territories and so do the services available to Canadians in general and to Aboriginal people in particular. What you are eligible for depends largely on where you live.

The Indian Registrar

Under the Indian Act, the Indian Registrar—an employee of INAC—is responsible for maintaining the Indian Register. The Registrar is the sole authority for determining which names will be added, deleted or omitted from the Register. In order to determine who is entitled to be registered as a Status Indian, the Registrar must be able to confirm that the person is descended from people who were recognized as members of an Indian band. The Indian Act defines the categories of people who are eligible for registration as Indians. INAC maintains certain band lists under section 11 of the Indian Act.

Cayoose Creek Indian Band: The Band Representative for INAC Registration of Status Indians. Status Cards are done by appointment at the Band Office provided there are Status Cards available.  INAC only provides Bands 20
Status Cards per order, once the Cards are out; we places another order for more Cards to be delivered.
To apply for a status card you will need an original birth certificate and one picture ID for old status cards.




Corina Adams
Membership Clerk
(250)256-4136 Ext 203